Tropical Version for Those with a Sweet Tooth
The second run at the bran muffin recipe will be:
- 3 cups wheat bran
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup chopped raw cashews (or other nuts you like)
- 20 oz can crushed pineapple
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup butter (or butter substitute to make it vegan)
- 2 1/2 cups white flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda (make sure it’s fresh or it will affect the rise)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs, beaten (or egg substitute to make it vegan)
- 1/2 cup almond milk (or coconut milk– I just ran out)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
I added 1 cup of bran and the coconut to the hot water, mixed and let it sit until the bran absorbed the water. In a separate bowl, I blended the sugar, honey, pineapple, and butter together using a fork. I added the flour, baking soda, cashews, and salt to the bowl. Then, I went back to my bran bowl and added the eggs, the remaining 2 cups of bran, almond milk. Then I added the flour mixture to this and stirred until well blended.
I poured my muffin batter into 12 extra large silicone muffin cups. I like using these because I don’t have to buy paper muffin cups and with these silicone cups, I can place them on a cookie sheet and make as many or as few as I like and they will all cook evenly. Once the batter was poured, I sprinkled coconut on top with a cashew on each one just to make them look a little prettier.
I preheated my oven to 400º F. I baked until done (because of the extra large muffin cups and the batter was pretty moist, it took 35 minutes). I used a toothpick to test doneness.
This is how they turned out: